Good Morning Membership,
I am proud to announce that greens aerification was completed on Wednesday, October 24th. We were able to use 1/2″ quad tines on 2″ spacing, which pulled more material out than in years past. We removed approximately 19.6% and replaced it with 100% silica sand. 2 of these coring aerifications coincided with the 2 direction verticut will remove about 70% yearly. USGA recommends 20% yearly. This will be 3.5 times the recommended yearly displacement. A schedule this aggressive is a must to improve firmness, drainage, and playability over the next 3-5 years. I want to thank my staff and Mr. Elliott for all their hard work and determination to make this grueling process go as smoothly as it did. We will be applying a fertilizer spray along with a granular application to help healing process along as much as possible. Thank you again to everyone and I look forward to seeing how hard work pay off next golf season.
As the year is coming to an end and Fall like temperatures start to set in my staff and I would like to thank all the members and their guests this year. It has been a challenging year to say the least. We have already recorded record rainfall for the area and it is only mid October. We currently sit at 61″ total. I am highly disappointed to start out my first year at LCC with the weather conditions we have been presented, and unfortunately we were unable to showcase my staff and I’s full potential to create a fun and challenging course. This year has been filled with decisions to mow or not to mow, to pump bunkers or not to pump bunkers, to try to do this or wait for better weather, However, all the decisions I have made throughout the year is to better this course not only for this year, but for years to come. It has been the hardest year to manage turf in Western PA ever, and I feel with the shortcomings we have at LCC; drainage or the lack there of, soil profiles, organic matter, clay content and not enough sand, and bunkers continuously washing out, we maintained the course in playable conditions and did not jeopardize the turf health moving into next year. We are scheduled for Fall aerification the week of October 22nd. My staff and I will be performing at least 2 aerifications per year moving forward and topdressing the greens weekly throughout the growing season. The more sand profile we can build over the next 3-5 years the more firm and dry the greens will play. We will continue to install proper working drainage in areas that are needed throughout the year. This will help remove water from the surface faster, dry the course down faster, improve playing conditions, and allow carts out sooner. There is a lot of work to be done over the next several years, and I am beyond blessed and excited to be the man leading the charge. My staff and I have one goal; to provide the best and most enjoyable course for our members. Thank you all again for the understanding of this difficult year and we are looking forward to 2019 already!
Your Turf Management Team
Good morning membership,
As we enter the last day of June, hot (DRY!!!) weather is in the forecast. We are entering July with 5 straight days at 90 degrees plus and no rain. We are ending June with a total of 7.85″. The greens will start to dry down and become firm, however with this hot, humid weather it may take several days. Humid days will lead to them holding moisture. This weekend is a great example of why my staff and I are topdressing and incorporating as much sand into them as possible moving forward. The large putting green and number 1 green are sand based. Please take an extra look and notice how firm, dry, and true they are compared to our other greens that are more silt/clay based. These greens hold more water, act spongy, and are less true. Over time, my staff and I will be working hard to incorporate as much sand into the greens as possible. The greens will eventually all play similar to the putting green and number 1. Monday, July 2nd my staff and I will be slicing the greens, as we have several times this year to relieve canopy moisture, and then topdressing. This should help the drying out process and get to the firm, fast greens everyone has been waiting all year to play. As the weather turns a corner, I hope everyone gets out and enjoys multiple rounds and has a wonderful 4th of July Holiday. Thank you and take care,
Turf Management team and Justin
The trend of heavy amounts of rainfall has continued. This past week we received another 2.8″ of rain. I am pleased with the overall health of the turfgrass across the course given the trying conditions, however playabilty has not been great. I have taken several measures, such as slicing the greens on a regular bases to incorporate oxygen and drying of the surface, backed off mowing and rolling, and continued to spray preventative fungicides to promote healthy turf and water penatrants to push water through the soil . I do not want to push the greens given the amount of moisture, lack of oxygen, and shortened root zone during these times. This will hopefully allow them to come out of this weather pattern stronger and healthier for when we do finally get the conditions we are all hoping to get soon. The 10 day forecast looks great if we can avoid a couple days of afternoon storms next week. My staff and I are continuing to work hard and provide the best playing conditions with turf health as our number one goal. Dry, firm, and fast is around the corner….I can feel it!
Thank you to everyone for your understanding during this incredibly wet spring and I hope everyone is enjoying the course so far this year.
Afternoon storms with substantial amounts of rainfall has been the trend over the past week. We received 1.15″ of rain Saturday afternoon and evening, bringing the total to 4.3″ over the past 7 days. Greens are beyond their water infiltration rate and are holding excessive amounts of water. Due to the soft, wet conditions, greens will be backed off of for a couple days until they dry out. I do not want to put unnecessary stress upon them when it is only May. Other areas of the course may have to let dry before mowing as well to prevent ruts and scalping . Please continue using cart paths and extreme caution in your travels to prevent rutting up the course any further. Keep your fingers crossed and pray for drier weather ahead.
Thank you and please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Good Morning Members,
Due to winter running later than usual this year, my staff and I will be utilizing the weekend to catch up on mulching the property. Greens will be mowed and rolled, however cups will not be changed this weekend. Thank you for your understanding as we work on getting caught up.
We have another frost delay this morning. Hopefully with temperatures warming up quickly it won’t last long. Please hold play until 9:30 am. Sorry for the inconvenience.
We have a frost delay this morning. We will be holding play until 10:30am. Hopefully this is the last frost delay until October.
Its hard to believe we still had snow on the ground just one week ago today. Winter has lingered on longer than anyone has wanted to see. I am pleased that even with the snow, rain, and cold weather my staff and I have been working relentlessly to provide the best conditions for opening day on Saturday, April 28th. Greens were deep tined along with topdressed Monday and Tuesday. Conditions will play a little softer than the norm for a few days. I am pleased to say all the grass has been cut, cleanup of winter debris is almost complete, and mulching of the landscape beds will begin as soon as possible. My staff and I thank you for your understanding as we continue to work hard to provide great playing conditions and beautiful aesthetics as Spring temperatures slowly approach.
Green aerification began yesterday morning under cloudy skies that quickly produced rain. Seven greens all on the front 9 currently have holes in them without top dressing applied. The decision to wait for drier weather will allow us to keep the back side open(without holes) for play the next few days. The plan is to get the back side done on Thursday or Friday depending on the weather. We will keep you informed as to our progress via email.