Thanks goes out to Joe Corsi for painting the stairs on #16 and the bridge on #12 in honor of deceased member Kevin Gribbin.
Congratulations to two members for getting a hole in one in the last week
Mike Dandrea #17
Bob Jacobs #7
Cha Cha Cha
1st Linda Harbaugh
2nd Betty Rosa
3rd Kimberly Haggin
Closest To Pin
#4 Patty Kegel
#7 Jamie Bizup
#11 Ann Queale
#17 Katie Miller
#1 Holly Hall
#15 Jody Keating
#10 Peggy Haraczy
We have plenty to talk about in this edition including upcoming events, past events, and travel dates. The July calendar shapes up like this:
- Monday’s in July the Golf Shop will be open, we have scheduled exchange days on these dates:Monday July 9th Hidden Valley, Monday July 16th Latrobe Elks, Monday July 30th GlenGary
- Wednesday July 4th –Red White Blue Skins Game—in both Net and Gross, ½ Cash and ½ Credit
- Sat-Sun July 14th-15thMember-Member, The golf event is always fun filled with great play, Bill and the Club Staff always throw a great party Saturday evening, and this year seems to be no exception. If you have never played or perhaps need a partner, please don’t hesitate to sign up or allow the Golf Shop to assist you or your team. This will be the 20th year for this great yearly event. Only Golf Members may participate in the Golf part of the Member-Member. Since we had such a good time last year with the different format we will once again play a new format this year, Saturday will be Scotch Twosome and Sunday will be Best Ball Of Two.
- Tuesday July 31-Aug 7th Ladies Queen Bee
August Schedule(at present)
- Wednesday August 1st-Men’s Stag
- Thursday August 2nd –One day junior Camp—fun filled with great info for your beginning or intermediate junior golfer. Please call the Shop to register, field is limited.
- Saturday August 4th -Mixed Couples Member Guest—Lashes and Stashes 2 pm shotgun start for the Couples mixed guest tournament.
- Tues. 1st & 8th Queen Bee—9am Shotgun start for Ladies
- Tuesday 22nd Ladies Association Classic-9am shotgun
September Schedule(at present)
- Sun. Sept. 2nd-5 Person Scramble 9:15 Shotgun Start
- Saturday-Sunday September 15th-16th CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP-one of the top events of the year! 36 holes for all groups-play will be in your own handicap division, Golf Members Only.
The Open Championship July 19-22- we will have pool for the combined dollar amount of the two. We will have you pick a player from column 1,2,3 for the Open Championship. You will get one pick from each column, world rankings 1-10, 11-25, 26-40.
The range has once again been very busy this year, the use of woods is discouraged, please be very careful when hitting any balls at the practice facility. Please use the new path the entire distance to the range back behind #18 green, past #16 tee on the left then into the new opening to the right side, do not cut thru 18 fairways.
2018 Ligonier Invitational Results –June 51-2
1st – BJ Torau-Jason Patuzko Tartan
2nd— Dave Smail-Ray nelson
1st– Dave Strauser-Joe rex
2nd-Mike Cunningham-Bob Fletcher
1st-Les Botkin-Ovi Manciu
2nd– Bernie Lynch-Garrett Stempfer
1st– Brian Quinn-Jeep Quinn
2nd—Chris Kerr-Mick Kenney
1st – Nick Morrison-Barry Kassel
2nd– Dave Dillman-Kurt Kuyat
1st– Art Hoopes-John Klimchock
2nd– Larry Shekell-Ron Denunzio
1st Dale Whigham-Jerry Wilkosky
2nd-Keith Miller-Bob Swann
1st– Ben Thomas- Ray Hess
2nd Mike Goerlich-Terry Lee
Overall Champions were Dave Strauser and Joe Rex, they defeated 7 other teams in the 7 team playoff. It was a great playoff filled with great twists and turns, on #1 Joe Rex and Dave Strauser made par on the third playoff hole to win. Two great days of golf and friendship was capped off by a wonderful dinner Saturday evening presented by Bill, Bobbie Jo and staff. We hope everyone had a Great time, and hope that you participate in the years to come.
The only constant is change, therefore we are ready for June to start and leave May and the bad weather behind. Let us look ahead at what the schedule holds:
June and July Events:
Friday-Sunday 15th-17th Fathers Day Sale Dice Sale– The sale will consist of 1 dice table and 9 dice, once you have picked out your soft good purchase then you roll the dice to see your savings. The least you can receive is 25%, but the most you may receive is 54%. This sale is on all soft goods, Men’s Apparel, Ladies Apparel, and Youth Apparel. Soft goods consist of shirts, hats, sweaters, and fleece, however such things as shoes clubs and balls are not included. Free Gift Wrapping will be available on Saturday and Sunday for all your purchases. Come out and try your luck!!!!!
Sunday 17th Annual Fathers Day Event-once again we look forward to a nice field for this fantastic bonding event. This is truly a fun day that you and your family can bond and spend some nice time together. Play will be off the first tee, with tee-times assigned by the Golf Shop, we do honor requests that day of playing companions, or if we must fill out your group we certainly will. You must pre-sign up for this event in the Golf Shop prior to Thursday at noon, due to heavy participation the day has become a very busy. The event will be Callaway (using Callaway scoring system) Total of 2 for winners in both Net and Gross divisions. These simple events allow everyone to have fun without a handicap and especially without any pressure.
Wednesday June 13th Men’s Stag-The Stag will start with lunch at 11:30 am, followed by a shotgun start at 1 pm. The golf as always is followed by a superb dinner made by Chef Jess and her fantastic staff. Presentation of prizes will follow the dinner in a timely fashion. This is a great way to entertain clients and friends on a small budget. The cost of the event includes golf for your guest, cart fee, lunch, dinner, and prizes.
Tuesday June 26th Ladies Guest Day-Registration will begin at 8 am followed by a 9 am Shotgun start with Lunch to follow, this is continually the highlight of the schedule for the Ladies Golf Season. The sign-up sheet is in the locker room please sign in with your guest’s names and course where handicap can be verified. I personally guarantee that everyone will have a great time!!! You must be registered prior to Thursday June 22nd.
July 14th and 15th Member-Member –A grand 2 day event which is the highlight of the team year! Choose your partner and sign up in the Golf Shop, we will pair you for both Shotgun starts on Saturday and Sunday with shotguns at 9:15 both days. Please watch the newsletter and the mail for your invitation. The tournament will be played at full handicap, if by chance you wish to play and need a partner the Golf Shop will be glad to pair you. Full golf members only.
The Red Solo Cup Open will be played on Saturday June 30th, it is a 9-hole par 3 event with on-course beer tasting and the band Hy-5 following play. Play will begin at 4:30 pm with prizes and surprises throughout the round. You may bring guests and can sign up with a 2-, 3-, or 4-some. There will be proximity prizes on every hole including long putts and closest to the pins.
Junior Golf Camps-1 day camp Thursday June 7 8:30-12:30—3 day Wed June 27-Friday June 29 8:30-12:30—1 day Thursday August 2 8:30-12:30. Please call Golf Shop for registration details.
Other Golf Shop happenings:
The US OPEN. The Golf Shop will be having a pool to help peak interest in the National Open festivities. For $10 you get to pick your players, they are as follows: a European player, a US born player, and a world player. Don’t worry it is much easier than how it reads.
The Practice Range –the tee is now being cut 2 times per week to ensure better conditions when you go to practice. The range will close for scheduled weekly cutting starting at 5pm on Sunday evening and remain closed until Monday at 9am.
Guest Policy– When bringing a guest to our club please remind them of our policy of dress to alleviate any uncomfortable situations. As the presenting member you are solely responsible for your guest’s actions during their visit to our facility.
When we think about sharpening the saw we forget that self talk can be the biggest detriment to holding back our ability. Instead of talking yourself into consequences that tighten up your muscles you can work on your breathing. Do this drill to lighten yourself up, close your eyes, breath in thru your nose for 5 seconds, hold the breath in for 5 seconds and then blow it out for 4 seconds. See that helps!
Wednesday, May 2nd
1st Gross: Mike Grados, Larry Ott, Mike Lancia, Marty Slovonic
1st Net: Ray Nelso, Jim Kane, Jeff Junstrom, John Berger
2nd Net: Art Hoopes, Dave Klimchock, John Klimchock, Dave Kornedis
3rd Net: Dave Gilbert, Scott Green, Eric Wenning, Don Gilbert
4th Net: Paul Zanotto, Tom McLaughlin, Brian Saylor, Adam Kauffman
Minimum Credit for 2018: Rob McCalmont
Evening Membership: J.D. Kurtz
Golf Membership: John Siemering, Sr
Other Prizes: Dave Kornedis, John Klimchock, Tom Brklycica, Chris Snyder, Dave Walden, Dave Hanna, and Larry Ott
Thank you to all the members and their guests for a great day!
Saturday, April 28th
Mens: Ed Elliott, Jim Mendillo, Paul Zanotto, Ted Paladino
Ladies: Sally Sheerer, Melane Baraniak, Barb Gabelt, Carolyn Morford
Ben Biss, Bill Bode, Kevin Metsger, Nick Morrison
Joe Corsi, Dave Nelson, Dave Gallatin, Vince Detore
4th Place (3-way tie)
Dave Strauser, Paul Gabelt, Jack Krall, Mike Snyder
Rick McLeary, Mark Parish, Joe Griffith, Jim Mendillo
Corey Riddell, Jeep Quinn, Jay Vreeland, Mike Goerlich
This Spring has not been the best but we anticipate that it will get better, keep your eyes on the horizon and not down at your feet.
Events to keep on your schedule:
- Memorial Day Weekend– you can play any amount of days you wish, have as many partners as you wish, and the event will be scored over 3 days. This Pick Your Partner event will be a fun filled team event and you may even have a different partner all 3 days. Simply pick a partner for Saturday, Sunday, or Monday and play best ball of 2, we will pay low team money for the day, as well as the overall weekend low teams.
- The Men’s Invitational May 31-June1-2– We currently have a few team spots yet to fill, please call the Golf Shop to sign up your team. That weekend will once again be one of the great highlights of this Golf Season. It is by far an exciting event as well as fun for all, don’t put it off any longer and come join us for some fun.
- Red Solo Cup Open Saturday June 30th -4pm shotgun with a fun 9 hole par 3 format followed by the band Hy-5 in the outdoor facility. More details to follow!
- Ladies Invitational Tuesday 9am Shotgun Start-The Ladies Invitational has been the marquee day for the Summer in the schedule for the last 25 years. Please sign up in the Golf Shop or in the Ladies Locker Room. Continental breakfast will start the day at 8am and lunch will follow play. You may sign up with 1,2,or3 guests.
- Big Skins-Tuesday July 4th
- Member-Member Saturday-Sunday July 14th-15th
- The Team Match Play Championship-We are still in search of teams for the TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP. We had 28 teams last year sign up to play but this year we have a few less at this current time. Just as a reminder that you can play from the Green, White, or Red tees, whichever suits your game.
We have begun sign up for PGA Junior League-the league is for juniors ages 7-13 in the beginner and intermediate stage of learning. Our club along with Hannastown, Oakbrook, TotterRidge, and Westmoreland will be hosting and traveling to play others teams. We will need 10-12 juniors to participate to have a team and will play at all the above clubs as well as here. Juniors will have several scheduled supervised practices here, play away matches at all of the above venues, PGA home and away team shirt with name and number on back, PGA tee-shirt, hat, bag tag, stickers, and drawstring bag. The matches will be scramble two person team format in 3-3 hole match format, kids will be part of a team and have fun while playing! Sign up runs thru May 23 and cost for everything will be $175. We understand that people have vacations along with other sports and can’t make every scheduled practice or match but don’t miss this fun opportunity to get your daughter, son, or grandchild involved.
I would believe that most of us know when inclement weather is approaching with all the smart devices we have in our possession at any one time. Our weather siren is sounded for emergency purposes only! If you hear it you must come in off the golf course or find immediate shelter, anyone playing through a siren blast may not only be tempting fate but also putting your family or friends in danger.
Demo Days-Come join us for demo days and receive a special coupon.
- Ping Tuesday May 15th – 3-7
- Cobra-Thursday May 24th 3:30-6:30
- Mizuno Tuesday May 8th-3-7
- Callaway TBA
Tee Time Protocol-tee times are always needed, simply call the Golf Shop and we can maximize your enjoyment here at the club.
King of Swing–sign-up is now under way to find a match Play Champion, Matches will begin mid-May. We have 5 openings currently available, please don’t get shut out. Bill Thompson is very excited about defending his championships (two consecutive), come see if you were born to be The King of Swing.
Team Championship-the field for the Team Championship has continued to grow. We hope the fill completely however if the field is not filled by May 15th we will draw matches and byes will be awarded randomly to the a few lucky teams. I hope that you will find a partner and sign up for this event that promises to be one of the great traditions of Summer @ LCC.
Ladies Late Tees Play Evenings– Every Tuesday evening from June through the end of August we will have Late-tee times at 5:30 pm. All L.C.C. ladies are welcome to join us for a relaxed time to play. This is golf for all skill levels. Please join us after work or for evening golf with LCC friends! John will be on hand some of the evenings for a quick clinic. Please call the Golf Shop for details or to sign up!
Mothers Day– Your Mom called and said she wants Ligonier Country Club Gear! Stop by the Golf Shop to buy Mom the newest LCC Sportswear for Mothers Day. We have a great selection of outerwear for enjoying the Pavilion! Free Gift wrapping is available!
Opening Day April 28th; check the website next week for the winners.
The innovation in clubs will certainly make your head spin with so many options, let us help you through the info overload. Last year we have purchased an Ernest Sports Launch Monitor, and have had very good luck with fitting both Woods and irons this early season. We have more demo clubs this year than ever before, multiple demo putters and quite a few demo wedges. The Golf Shop carries everything from great value starter sets for both ladies and men such as Tour Edge, through top line equipment such as Ping, Titleist, Taylormade, Mizuno, and Callaway. Let your local Golf Shop help you instead of some big box store that does not know your name and doesn’t care if you ever come back following your purchase.
Upcoming Exchange Days (updated as of 4-25) Cart Cost is Now $25–Full Golf Members Only
- Wednesday May 23rd -Somerset CC
- Monday June 18th Donegal Highlands GC
- Monday July 16th Latrobe Elks
- Tuesday July 17th Ebensberg CC
- Monday July 30th GlenGary
- Thursday July 12th-Champion Lakes GC
- Monday August 20th Valley Green GC
LCC also belongs to the Tri-County Golf Association, the Association is a group of like minded clubs that allow members of member clubs to enjoy golf at a variety of place, you may visit the TCGA website or our web site to see a list of clubs. Both the TCGA and exchange days are restricted to Full Golf Members only! The Golf Shop must make the arrangements for the TCGA with member clubs.
New Range Hours-The Practice Range will close on Sunday evening at 5pm so that weekly work can be performed. The range will be open 100+ hours a week but must be closed once a week to make it more attractive.
Congratulations to Bill Rosa($180) who won the Masters Par 3 Pool, second place was a tie between Chris Antonikas, Christian Giannone, and Chris Mendillo ($73 each). The US Open is right around the corner.
John and Kathy made their first trip to donate golf equipment to The First Tee. Next week will be another full Jeep! Thanks to all the members for the donations!
Wow! Lets not dwell on things that we can’t change. We have plenty of great events to look forward to in the upcoming months, let’s look ahead and not back. The Shop is full of clubs along with demo clubs, bags, Spring clothing, grips, push carts, and much more; stop in to see what’s new for 2018. We hope to see you soon!
This year the season kicks off with Opening Day on Saturday April 28th. Format for both Men and Ladies this upcoming year will be Best 2 Balls of 4. Different this year will be that sign-up for both Men and Ladies will be closed at Noon on Friday the 27th. Teams will be made at that time with the existing players, this denotes a change for the ladies that always usually signed up to play the day of the event. Breakfast will be served at 8:30, with the Shotgun start at 9:15am. All teams will be computer generated ABCD; no pre-set teams will be accepted. We will begin the day with Coffee and Doughnuts, Play Golf @10am, have Lunch and give away the Prizes.
Ladies Day Tuesdays- in April, May, and September the Ladies Association will begin play at 10am, and during the Summer months play will begin at 9am. On Tuesday the 1st tee will be closed ½ hour prior to the beginning of play, general play will be able to start from 8am-9:30 in April, May, and September.
The Masters Tournament is slated to begin April 5th and we have a pool that will make the event more fun. For $10 you will pick you a player from A, B, C columns and the lowest weeks scores on all par 3’s played, therefore all players must make the cut . Please call the shop prior to 6pm Wednesday the 4th to sign up. Call and we will send out a sheet via text or email.
We very recently mailed out the Men’s Invitational letter, if you do not receive any kind of notification by April 1st please alert the Golf Shop. This year’s dates will be May 31, June 1 and 2. If you have missed this event in the prior years, mark it on your event schedule for this summer. Field is limited so please sign up by May 16th, however if we get the allotted teams prior to the deadline a waiting list will be invoked. This is the premier event of the Men’s Golf Season, try it once and you will be hooked.
Spring Member-Guest–Wednesday May 2nd 1pm Shotgun-The day begins with a lunch for you and your guests beginning at 11:30 followed by a 1pm shotgun start time. The event being a Best 2of 4 format, with plenty of Closest to the Pins, Long Putts, and Long Drives. Bill and his staff will follow up play with a great dinner and we will calculate the scores, collect the proximities and hand out the prizes. Our guarantee is that every guest will leave LCC very happy and extremely well fed. This event is open to all membership categories, and is a great way to entertain clients, show off our facility, introduce people you wish to join, or a great way to say Thank You to that person that plowed your driveway all winter. This event will replace the Fall Member Guest, and will contain a drawing for free minimums for a lucky Member, and someone’s guest that day will be drawn for a FREE Golf Membership.
Tri County Golf Courses-Please go onto the Tri-County website (www.tri-countygolf.com) to find the list of clubs that are members. I think it would be a great golfing summer if you hit all those clubs, $30 during the weekdays, and $35 on weekends you have quite a selection. You must make tee times through our Golf Shop and be a full Golf Member to enjoy this special perk.
Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls are now Buy 3 get one free in a Spring Customer Appreciation Sale, balls must be ordered thru Titleist and can be imprinted up to 3 lines of text. Numbers can either be 1-4, 5-8, or your special 2 digit number. This program runs thru the first 2 weeks of April and can’t be used for corporate logo balls.
Mothers Day Sale-we will have some great sales the week of Mothers Day, plus (as always) free gift wrapping.
- Mizuno Demo Day Thursday May 8th 3-6:30
- Ping Demo Day Tuesday May 15th 3-6:30
- Cobra Demo Day Thursday May 24th 3-6:30
- Senior Club Championship Saturday May 19th Morning TEE TIMES Will be assigned
- Ladies Opening Tuesday-April 17th at 10am
- Men’s Stag (1st of Season)-Wednesday June 13th 1pm Shotgun-The day begins with an optional lunch for you and your guests. 1pm will be the start time with the event being a Best 2of 4 format, with plenty of Closest to the Pins, Long Putts, and Long Drives. Bill and his staff will follow up play with a great dinner and we will calculate the scores, collect the proximities and hand out the prizes. Our guarantee is that every guest will leave LCC very happy and extremely well fed. This event is open to all membership categories, and is a great way to entertain clients, show off our facility, introduce people you wish to join, or a great way to say Thank You to that person that plowed your driveway all winter (you owe them a lot of thanks).
- Memorial Day Best of 2 Weekend Event–3 days of regular tee-times, play with a different partner every day, or stick with the same partner all 3 days. You can play any amount of days, or the entire weekend.
Junior Camp- will be held on Wednesday June 27th thru Friday June 29th. We are only taking 25 youth for this year’s camp, and we anticipate camp filling up quickly. The camp will be 8-12 on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Please call the Golf Shop to register ASAP.
One Day Junior Camps–Thursday June 7th 8:30-12:30. The other One Day camp date will be Thursday August 2nd from 8:30-12:30
King Of Swing-The Annual event will begin in May, sign up fills up quickly, and we just take the first 31 and last years King of Swing (Bill Thompson). Draw is done randomly and the event will be played at 90% handicap. This single elimination event is one of the most fun events of the year. Call the Golf Shop to enter.
The Two PERSON Team Championship-Signup is going on as we speak and several teams have already signed up to become this year’s CHAMPIONS. The Championship is a BETTER BALL MATCH PLAY Single elimination Team Tournament. Last year’s Champions Corey Riddell and Al Jurica have already said “we are ready for all challengers this year.” Wow-we have never had taunting champions. Players can play the Tee that they normally play and all handicaps will be adjusted accordingly. If you want to play more golf this Summer this is certainly a way to get started.
Cart Cards and Guest Cards are on sale until April 15th.
Some Tri-County courses do not want exchange days, they don’t see a benefit for their club. Both Exchange Days and Tri-County days are reserved for Full Golf Members only, Social Members and guests are welcome, but must pay the applicable green fee. Please do not put Ligonier C.C. in an uncomfortable position by allowing guests to participate. Exchange days and Tri-County are rewards for being a Full Golf Member. We have asked the participating courses to keep a sign-in sheet and forward to our Golf Shop.
Just as a reminder to all members:
- The Club understands that athletic clothing is reaching all new demographics, we would like to remind everyone that new Under amour, Nike, and Adidas shirts must have an 1 ½ inch collar on them to be considered a Golf shirt. Please refer to the Dress Code in your Membership booklet to alleviate all questions.
- Members are always responsible for their guests.
- In order for the Golf Shop to serve you better, TEE TIMES are always required.
- Look for the return of the Late-Tees Thursday bi-weekly golf to be finalized in the May news.
- Jeans are not permitted on the course following March 31st.
- Please be aware that the parking lot speed limit is 15 miles per hour, my young men and women are in the lot trying to service you with your bags and carts, please be aware as you pull thru the lot.
The Golf Shop will open at 9am weekdays until April 13th, on the 17th we will begin opening on the weekdays at 7:30 and Tee-Times will begin at 8am. We will continue to open at 7:30 on the weekends until Memorial Day when the Golf Shop will begin to open at 6:30; we are trying to accommodate players that wish to get out on the course earlier.